National NewsFrom the Advocate
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for DiscriminationThe right to follow a particular religion is a fundamental one for Americans, but the ACLU says it does not grant a free pass to discriminate against LGBT people. read more […]
- The Miseducation of Destin HolmesRampant bigotry at one school prevents a girl from getting the education she deserves. read more […]
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'In his commencement speech at the historically African-American Morehouse College, President Obama gave an unexpectedly direct shout-out to gay graduates. read more […]
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York CityResponding to five bias-related attacks in the past month, including one fatality, New York City's LGBT community turned out in force to demand an end to antigay assaults. read more […]
- Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being GayVic Gardner contends that the Texas attorney general's office began mistreating him after Gardner dressed as a geisha for an office Halloween party. read more […]
Houston Voice Exclusives
Search The Voice
The Full Houston Voice Index
- Capital Trans PrideAward-winning stylist Codie Leone was the keynote speaker at the annual event celebrating the transgender community […]
- Sally Ride to receive Presidential Medal of FreedomWhite House designates 10 LGBT officials as 'Harvey Milk Champions of Change' […]
- ‘Love Song’ singer to headline LGBT DNC galaBareilles joins Jason Collins, Michelle Obama for annual event […]
- WGAY podcasts: April 26 and May 10Discussions of the Boy Scouts and Delaware marriage […]
- NYC officials condemn alleged anti-gay murderElliot Morales allegedly shot Mark Carson to death in Greenwich Village […]
GA Voice (Georgia)
- Gay rights flip-flopper Karen Handel runs for U.S. SenateLooks like LGBT Georgians can expect another turn as campaign cannon fodder, as Karen Handel has ent […]
- Anti-gay group claims it was target of IRS leak, announces lawsuitThe Internal Revenue Service came under fire late last week after allegations that it unfairly targe […]
- Petition asks Ga. governor to honor day against 'homophobia'He's done it again. For the second time in as many years, Ga. Gov. Nathan Deal has issued a pro […]
- Vote for Ga. Rep. Karla Drenner to speak to 'Next Generation'State Rep. Karla Drenner, Georgia's first openly gay state legislator, needs your vote now — no […]
- WATCH: SNL's Kate McKinnon stops in on 'Ellen' — to play EllenOpenly gay SNL star Kate McKinnon makes me laugh, even during the stupid skits. Her impersonations o […]
Houston Voice Travel & Nightlife:
Sponsor The Houston Voice
We are a non-profit news site and web hosting cost money, sponsor an ad to keep us going!
Become an online sponsor
The Houston Voice Endorses Carol Alvarado for Texas Senate District 6
The Editorial Staff met Tuesday to discuss which candidate we would endorse for Texas Senate District 6 vacated after the passing of Senator Mario Gallegos. There were many points to consider when making this decision none more important than the candidates position on LGBT Equal Rights and Same-Sex Marriage. There were two outstanding candidates whom shared our support of Equal Rights for all.
State Representative Carol Alvarado and former County Commissioner Sylvia Garcia have long sense been advocates for gay rights and affordable health care for women. After completing a questionnaire provided to all candidates by the Houston Voice we were able to narrow it down to three choices. In the end we had one clear choice.
We are very enthusiastic to announce that the Houston Voice endorses Carol Alvarado for Senate District 6.
Election Day is Saturday, January 26th. Voter turnout is expected to be very low so every vote counts.
Comments can be sent to Political Editor Jody Miller at email@example.com