National NewsFrom the Advocate
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives ObjectKaryn Polito joins her running mate, gubernatorial hopeful Charlie Baker, in endorsing equal marriage rights, which may cost the team support from the right. read more […]
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative SetbackTwo proposals voted down Sunday would have outlawed discrimination and provided equality for same-sex couples buying a home. read more […]
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality IndexMore than 300 corporations earned perfect scores on this year's CEI, including 13 of the top 20 Fortune 500 companies. read more […]
- Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News AgenciesAfter dissolving one of the nation's oldest state-run news agencies, Russian president Vladimir Putin appointed a well-known, violently homophobic news anchor to lead the new media group. read mo […]
- Redbox Picks Up 'Bridegroom' Despite Rule Against DocumentariesThe president of Redbox announced that all 44,000 of its kiosks will stock gay-themed documentary Bridegroom. read more […]
Search The Voice
The Full Houston Voice Index
- Graham to run for fifth termGay D.C. Council member announces re-election bid […]
- BB&T ClassicThe Washington Blade and Team DC hosted a Night Out event in the Acela Club […]
- Maryland advocates must unite to pass trans billCompetition, strife among groups is counterproductive […]
- The stranger who helped me discover I’m bisexualChance meeting at Capital Pride leads to awakening […]
- Georgia Nat’l Guard to process same-sex benefitsMississippi now only state not complying with Hagel edict […]
Houston Voice Travel & Nightlife:
The Houston Voice Endorses Carol Alvarado for Texas Senate District 6
The Editorial Staff met Tuesday to discuss which candidate we would endorse for Texas Senate District 6 vacated after the passing of Senator Mario Gallegos. There were many points to consider when making this decision none more important than the candidates position on LGBT Equal Rights and Same-Sex Marriage. There were two outstanding candidates whom shared our support of Equal Rights for all.
State Representative Carol Alvarado and former County Commissioner Sylvia Garcia have long sense been advocates for gay rights and affordable health care for women. After completing a questionnaire provided to all candidates by the Houston Voice we were able to narrow it down to three choices. In the end we had one clear choice.
We are very enthusiastic to announce that the Houston Voice endorses Carol Alvarado for Senate District 6.
Election Day is Saturday, January 26th. Voter turnout is expected to be very low so every vote counts.
Comments can be sent to Political Editor Jody Miller at email@example.com