National NewsFrom the Advocate
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'The Chelsea Lately star, known for her frank commentary, criticized the CNN host for mistreating her on his show. Featured Image: read more […]
- S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT CurriculaAfter assigning LGBT-inclusive books on their freshman reading lists, two South Carolina universities could see their budgets slashed by close to $70,000 combined. Featured Image: read more […]
- Jason Collins Will Remain With Brooklyn NetsBrooklyn's NBA team will keep Collins, the first openly gay player in the NBA, after signing him in February to a short-term contract. Featured Image: read more […]
- Adam Shankman to Helm 'Hair' at Hollywood BowlThe out filmmaker and So You Think You Can Dance judge will direct and choreograph the rock musical this summer in Los Angeles. Featured Image: read more […]
- Op-ed: In Defense of 'Looking'Some may say Looking was boring, but it strikes at the core of something many of us dare not mention. Featured Image: read more […]
Search The Voice
The Full Houston Voice Index
- Lesbian judicial nominee confirmed to fed’l court in MichiganSenate unanimously approves Levy by 97-0 vote […]
- Oregon GOP backs marriage referendum233-162 vote in favor of equality […]
- Lesbian couple in Texas found murderedPolice unsure if killings motivated by sexual orientation […]
- Collins to sign with Nets for rest of seasonGay center lands contract extension […]
- Anti-gay Episcopal faction loses court fight in Falls ChurchBroke away in dispute over elevation of Robinson […]
Houston Voice Travel & Nightlife:
The Houston Voice Endorses Carol Alvarado for Texas Senate District 6
The Editorial Staff met Tuesday to discuss which candidate we would endorse for Texas Senate District 6 vacated after the passing of Senator Mario Gallegos. There were many points to consider when making this decision none more important than the candidates position on LGBT Equal Rights and Same-Sex Marriage. There were two outstanding candidates whom shared our support of Equal Rights for all.
State Representative Carol Alvarado and former County Commissioner Sylvia Garcia have long sense been advocates for gay rights and affordable health care for women. After completing a questionnaire provided to all candidates by the Houston Voice we were able to narrow it down to three choices. In the end we had one clear choice.
We are very enthusiastic to announce that the Houston Voice endorses Carol Alvarado for Senate District 6.
Election Day is Saturday, January 26th. Voter turnout is expected to be very low so every vote counts.
Comments can be sent to Political Editor Jody Miller at email@example.com