National NewsFrom the Advocate
- Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday SeasonNo matter where you fall under the LGBTQ rainbow, Your Holiday Mom and The December Project want to warm your heart during these chilly winter months. read more […]
- 'You Can Play' and NFL Team Up With LGBT YouthYou Can Play and the NFL announced a new initiative to create connections between LGBT youth and professional athletes. read more […]
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban ConstitutionalRussia's Constitutional Court dismissed a challenge from one of the nation's most prominent LGBT activists contending that the nationwide ban on so-called gay propaganda violated the Russian […]
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'Jared Leto talked with Jon Stewart on Tuesday about his dedication to presenting a trans charter on screen who wasn’t a cliché. read more […]
- Israel Set to Grant Gay Men Adoption Tax BenefitsA vote in the Israeli Knesset will reveal whether the Jewish state is ready to recognize some rights for same-sex couples. read more […]
Search The Voice
The Full Houston Voice Index
- David Catania forms mayoral exploratory committeeFive-term Council member could be nation's capital's first gay mayor […]
- Susan Rice: LGBT rights an essential part of U.S. foreign policyNational security adviser spoke at Newseum in D.C. […]
- 10 House members call on Boehner to bring up ENDARenewed call for floor vote on LGBT anti-bias as momentum stalls […]
- Council grandstanding will hurt low-wage workersPlan to raise D.C. minimum wage too high, too fast will reduce jobs, hours […]
- Obama renews PR push for health care lawGay couple claims $5,200 in savings under Obamacare […]
Houston Voice Travel & Nightlife:
I learned today from former MR. BRB, Craig Sanford via Facebook that the Brazos River Bottom will be closing Saturday, March 30. The BRB has been at its present location since 1979. The owners have sold the building and plan to relocate.
The building that houses Houston’s only LGBT Country and Western bar is over a 100 years old. The BRB has been home to many clubs like the Colt 45′s, Southern Country and TGRA.
“Its a place we feel welcome, feel at home, feel comfortable to be ourselves, a place where we are close friends with the staff and owners, a place we have laughed, cried, drank, socialized, raised millions of dollars, met friends, lost friends, hooked up, acted foolish..all with one another.” Sanford said in his post.
“My best memory is from March 2010 to March 2011, as I was honored to represent, and raise money as Mr BRB 2010.”
Justin Bryan Galloway
Section: Houstonian, News & Politics, Nite Life, Scene This? (Gay & E)